Monday, July 31, 2017

Trying to Learn the Lost Art of Storytelling

        When we first started this homeschool journey, I was leaning more towards Waldorf.  However, as I have said, CM really just is a better fit overall for our family. That being said, I did glean a lot of wisdom from the Waldorf method.  Here I share my thoughts on learning the importance of storytelling - a main component of Waldorf education. 
            Pre-K 
            Seneca chose out three books for me to read to her. They were The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper, Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss, and Corduroy by Don Freeman.
  I read an article today that said that a child's intelligence was more greatly affected by having the same stories read over and over again.  This helps strengthen their memories. That is not to say that they don't learn from a library book which is read and then exchanged, but that the type of learning from repetition is different.
              In the meantime, I have to learn some more fairy tales to recite to her.  She enjoys hearing the ones she knows, but she is eager to hear some new ones.  I have  a collection of fairy tales, but now I need to really get some new stories down in mind before I can bring them to her.  Before learning about Waldorf education, I had never considered the role of story telling in regards to language acquistion.  However, as is pointed out in Waldorf articles, the child must really depend so greatly on their own imagination to fill in the images when a story is told rather than read.  This helps develop listening as well as visualization skills.  In our world of ipads, iphones, and instant images, we have lost so much of the basic skills of simple learning.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Education As A Feast

 Charlotte Mason is often described as referring to education as a feast.  You (the teacher) prepare a feast for your child and the child fi...