Monday, July 24, 2017

Nature Journaling





Confession Time: I'm slacking in this department.  We don't get out for days like this as much as we should.  In fairness, we do have a bit of a crazy schedule and sometimes we're just too exhausted.

That being said, I want to share with you why I do love this idea of a nature journal.   I remember learning in primary school science class about observation and data collecting, but I had nothing to really connect it to.  With nature journaling, my daughter is learning to observe her surroundings and record what she sees and hears.  We've had impromptu discussions on recording techniques which could include sketching, writing a description, making a video, recording sounds, or taking photographs.  Whether or not my daughter pursues a career in the sciences, she is learning how to observe.  I believe that exercises like this can also help with attention and focus.  Do not worry about artistic skill.  There are many tutorials on youtube to help with that, but even if that doesn't help remember that this is about observing and recording.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Education As A Feast

 Charlotte Mason is often described as referring to education as a feast.  You (the teacher) prepare a feast for your child and the child fi...