Thursday, August 24, 2017

Letting the Music Quiet Our Noise

        The other night, Seneca fell asleep listening to Palestrina’s “Motets for Five Voices.”  This piece is part of this term’s Composer Study and was the selection for the week.  I don’t think Seneca fell asleep because she was bored with it.  We often have this perception of people falling asleep at concerts (read: classical music concert) because they are bored.  That may be the case in some instances. But I wonder if sometimes the people who do fall asleep at concerts or fall asleep to classical music at night do so because they are put into a meditative state almost a trance.  When I was listening to Motets for Five Voices along with Seneca and I closed my eyes, it was as if the music had entered and surrounded my brain.  All of the other white noise in my brain seemed to stop.  This particular piece of music has so much going on as alluded to by its title “Five Voices.”              
          On the night she fell asleep listening, I had actually offered to turn off the music after the first break at the eight minute and thirty second mark.  I had actually started to turn it off and she simply said, “More.”   When I first played the piece for her, she was not as enthusiastic.  She listened for about 5 – 8 minutes each day as we made our way through the piece for the week.  Slowly, it began to resonate with her.  I guess that is the truth with so many things.  Sometimes we need repeated exposure, but gentle repetition.  My new “problem” is that she now likes “Motets for Five Voices” so much that Palestrina’s other works can’t compare and she only wants to listen to “Five Voices” during Composer Study.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Education As A Feast

 Charlotte Mason is often described as referring to education as a feast.  You (the teacher) prepare a feast for your child and the child fi...