Friday, April 27, 2018

Losing Play as a Working Homeschool Mom


One of the biggest perks/draws of homeschooling and the homeschooling community is free play. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/all-work-and-no-play-why-your-kids-are-more-anxious-depressed/246422/ In our area, there are lots of meet ups at parks, preserves, beaches, etc of homeschooling families gathering for the sole purpose of free play.   But my kids and I can’t attend because of my work schedule.   And if there are events on my days off, I’m so often just too tired to gather up the kids and go. 
One of the biggest concerns from the homeschooling community is lack of play and loss of recess in public schools.   It is quite ironic that the reason I am considering having my daughter return to school next year is due to  lack of play while homeschooling. I want to take a moment here to state that lack of play and socialization is not the norm, regardless of the stereotype, within the homeschooling community.   However, most homeschooling moms are not working moms.  There is a growing number of working homeschooling moms and a wonderful group on Facebook for Working Homeschool Moms. https://www.facebook.com/groups/WorkingHomeschoolMomClub/ That being said, it’s just not that common.  And even if it were that common, that would not solve our problem of cabin fever.
                I’m not faulting the homeschool community for us not being able to participate in many of these events.  There should be many opportunities for homeschoolers to meet for play and for academic events as well. I’m thrilled that we have such a thriving community.  I also don’t fault myself for working.  It just is what it is.   But accepting it doesn’t make the issue of our inability to be part of free play with other families disappear.
                So, I am looking into schools in our area.  This doesn’t mean that I don’t have reservations about the idea of her returning school.  I love using the ideas of Charlotte Mason to help chart our educational course.  I know that as a family we could go to the preserves and read Shakespeare regardless of whether or not we use traditional school or homeschool.  But it would still be somewhat of a loss of part of our family-culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Education As A Feast

 Charlotte Mason is often described as referring to education as a feast.  You (the teacher) prepare a feast for your child and the child fi...