Thursday, August 3, 2017

Trying to pin down that CM Schedule.....or not?

            Before going to work today, I sat down at my computer to try to come up with a basic schedule for fifth grade.  S has been homeschooling since first grade, but we’ve never used a schedule.  She reads, does her cursive, she may have a grammar lesson or math lesson, but it can happen on any given day and any given time.   We have been able to accomplish most of what is in a Charlotte Mason curriculum each year without ever having a set schedule.  That isn’t to say that we never have set obligations – she did ballet and computer classes, so we worked within that frame.
I had been giving a lot of serious consideration to really embracing the whole philosophy and methods of a CM education.  The foundation really is the schedule itself.  But after I wrote out a chart based on one that I found at Simply Charlotte Mason https://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/curriculum-guide/, I felt agitated and overwhelmed.  I say that the schedule itself is the foundation of a CM education because of the long list of readings.  Lessons are short, but there a lot of lessons.  I worry about jumping from book to book as - ideally - we would be having quite a few books going at the same time.  On the one hand, the argument is made that a child who learns this way learns to really focus on the readings and learns to compartmentalize and separate the information as needed – so that, for example, an incident in the life of Ben Franklin wouldn’t be confused with an incident in the life of Isaac Newton. On the other hand, it does seem to be a bit much and even a bit choppy.  Some readings are only done once a week.  Can a child really retain much detail from only a weekly reading?   A piece of me does want to give this a go to see if it could work and to see if my fears are unfounded. 
Our CM homeschool has always been a very relaxed one.  As I’ve said, we have no set schedule or rhythm.  And this way has worked beautifully for all of us.  But being too comfortable can sometimes mean a lack of progress.  We progress because we challenge ourselves.   
I am thinking of rotating out books instead of having too many going at once.  For example, a day might look something like this for a couple of weeks:
Daily
Plutarch (Copywork)
Dictation
Math
Grammar
Latin  
Art/Poet/Music
Handicraft

Next rotation might be:
Daily
Ben Franklin by D’Aulaire’s (Copywork)
Dictation
Math
Grammar
Latin  
Art/Poet/Music
Handicraft

    I think this way would lead to less burn-out, but again I don’t want to do a disservice to my daughter by not teaching her how to handle multiple readings. 

A more traditional CM approach would look more like the following which I created based on the schedule suggested by Simply Charlotte Mason:
Monday               Tuesday           Wednesday   Thursday   Friday
Ben Franklin          Ben Franklin      Poetry             Plutarch        Plutarch
Artist Study            Music Study     Geography       Folk Song     Nature Study
Latin                         Habits?             Handicraft        Shakes          Habits
My Side OTM         My Side             My Side            Latin              My Side
Math                       Math                   Math                My Side         Math
Isaac Newton         IN                        IN                      Math             IN
Grammar                GMR                   GMR                 IN                   GMR

   What would you choose?

      

2 comments:

  1. So you know where I'm coming from, I will say that my eyes glaze over when I see some homeschoolers' schedules! We have a daily/weekly plan, but it is loose and flexible.

    "Can a child really retain much detail from only a weekly reading?" In my experience with my two children, dd14 and ds10, yes they can, *if* they narrate each reading. That seems to cement it into their memory.

    We have mostly followed a schedule more like the traditional one that you posted. As my daughter has matured, I have given her the option to chunk her required reading as works best for her, especially if a chapter has been broken up into multiple weeks.

    My kids enjoy the variety of working on different books on different days of the week. Since our schedule is working for us and I see plenty of growth, I'm happy with it. But I think both methods have merit. Maybe try something out and if it needs tweaking, go for it? (This is pretty much the story of homeschooling, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much. I must admit that in my moments of feeling overwhelmed, I don't think of how helpful something like Narration really is. Like you said, tweak as needed. I do feel encouraged by your comment especially since you say your children have enjoyed the variety on the different days. We're just about to start up our new school year, so I think we will be a little brave and go for it. (And I just had Sarah Bareilles' hook of "I wanna see you be brave," run through my head as I typed that.)

      Delete

Education As A Feast

 Charlotte Mason is often described as referring to education as a feast.  You (the teacher) prepare a feast for your child and the child fi...